Friday, August 12, 2005

Anytime Anywhere

As I blog this, I am sitting in the 'business center' of the Ohmo-gyo Co-Op Residence Hotel in Seoul, Korea. Well, the internet access costs W500 per 20 minutes, which is quite reasonable for anyone to check e-mail and surf the net and blog.

Its been three days since I last touched the PC keyboard, and its ok. I am not addicted to this machine. One thing about the familiar Windows UI is that I can navigate around the Windows environment quite comfortably even though everything on screen is in Korean. If this were a character type environment, I'd be lost. So there's something to be said about pictures / graphics being a universal language of sorts. For example, I couldn't communicate with the restaurant waiter/owner about what I wanted for my dinner last night. The restaurant menu was all in Korean and there was not a picture anywhere where I could point to! So, after some pained attempt to-ing and fro-ing as to what I wanted, I grabbed a pen and drew a fish and a squid. Immediately, the communication gap was bridged and I had my dinner successfully. Truly, a picture is worth a thousand languages!

Ths restaurant is in the neighbourhood, a stone's throw from the hotel, and not in any of the tourist belts. The hotel itself is located in a remote area doted with many small time workshops, not unlike the JTC one-storey factories back in Singapore, around Eunos / Aljunied areas. Its really charming. In a way, it feels like home.

That said, the subway is about 5 minutes walk away and it will take you to virtually anywhere in Seoul. With 9 lines, its much more complicated than Singapore's

2 comments:

ColonialCrestCrew said...

Good point!

And congratulations, we have decided to name you "today's top blog." Keep up the great posts!

Anonymous said...

MSN Makes More Blogging, Aggregator Tweaks
MSN is fleshing out its Weblogging and aggregator products by adding new features on a regular ... Sponsored by HP & Intel The Compliance Conundrum: Ensuring Regulatory Compliance AND Secure Messaging with Michael Krieger.

Hello,

you got a quite interesting blog here. I really enjoyed reading here and think I'm
going to bookmark it.

My Page is a illinois divorce related
site. Check it out.