Monday, August 08, 2005

How to choose an apple


No, no, no, I don't mean Apple - the makers of the hugely successful products such as the Macintosh and the iPod, I mean apples - those that keep the doctors away type. I was reminded of the subject because of some prunes I bought yesterday at the supermarket - beautiful, red ones that rarely make it to economic (cheap) supermarkets such as Sheng Siong. They are so beautiful that I have captured them for posterity, or at least till the next big digital technology comes along.

The looks of these luscious prunes (yes, that's a picture of a prune, not an apple though it looks like one) reminded me of a wholesaler who imports and distributes apples to supermarkets such as NTUC Fairprice. He taught me that fully red apples cost more compared to half red ones. So the next time you visit the supermarket for fruits, bear this in mind when you choose your fruits. And please, please, don't spend half an hour handling the whole tray of fruits just to choose 5 apples. I really don't understand why people do that, really.

Do like what my mother advises - look carefully and select. Don't pick blindly and throw back half the tray of apples. I am certain the next person who really wants to buy apples from that tray will appreciate the consideration.

p.s. Those prunes had a hint of sourness when I ate them. Nobody promised that beautiful luscious looking red fruits must be sweet. I am sure there is something profound in this observation. ;-)

No comments: